Re: Release Notes available for translation

On Thursday 16 September 2004 23:29, Rob Bradford wrote:
> Some how you're not looking at the sarge branch there. I followed your
> link, and that looked fine but you musnt choose to download HEAD. As
> that currently has the woody version.

Hello Rob,

Please allow me to apologize profusely.
/me apologizes profusely

My mail was completely due to me downloading the wrong version somehow. The
weird thing is that it happened to me two times, and I can't figure out
where I went wrong.

Anyway, I've got the correct version now and will happily start translating.

I'm very sorry for the noise.

Frans

> > - - I think something i386 support in Sarge should be mentioned.
>
> Sorry? I dont quite follow what this point is

Again sorry, I now see I didn't write what I intended.
As I understand it, the kernel does not really support the 'original' Intel
386 processor any more, but some kind of emulation has been added so it can
be made to work. I also understand [1] that migration from Woody to Sarge
will not be straightforward because of this.
It could be worthwhile to add a paragraph explaining this and instructions
on how to migrate on a 386 box in the RN.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2004/08/msg00146.html

> > - - Would it be possible to split of the lists of old/new/etc. packages
> >   from the main en.sgml file and include the lists only at build time?
> >   This would make things a lot easier for translators.
>
> IMHO, I dont really want it in there, but someone did the work to put it
> in last time and I spent a helluvalot of time trying to generate that
> stuff sensibly this time.

I did not mean to drop the lists from the Release Notes. Just to not include
them in the release-notes.en.sgml file. As these lists do not need to be
translated, they only distract translators if they are included in the main
document.
It should be possible to put these lists in separate documents (together
with their <example> tags) in the same directory as release-notes.ent,
include a reference to these files in release-notes.en.sgml (and
translations), and have the lists automagically included in the finished
doc at build time.