ACER TM290 (ATI chips): Problems with Knoppix 3.6 !?

Until recently, I assume that Knoppix is the "Debian Installer
for Dummies [TM]". Unfortunately, Knoppix 3.6 (Aug 2004) does not
work well on Acer TM290 (ATI chips): somehow the touch pad often
make the system hang.

I tried the debian-installer RC1 from
http://kambing.vlsm.org/debian-cd/3.1_netinst/
and it runs perfectly well! (But just like Knoppix, it could not
display the first splash).

I tried to install xserver-xfree86, and it works well too. I am not
sure if it is a good habit; but I usually install gpm first for
testing if the touch pad/mouse works. So far, so good: it could
also detect the ATI chips. Too bad, it asks a difficult question
like the frequency of the LCD display.

I tried to dpkg --set-selection with my current package set,
and it seems to run well.

Great job, and thank you!

--
Rahmat M.  Samik-Ibrahim -- vLSM.org  -- http://rms46.vLSM.org/ --