Re: [PROPOSAL] 2.4.27 as default 2.4 kernel for sarge

Sven Luther wrote:

All here who have 2.4 and 2.6 kernels on ppc should try disk speed tests with hdparm: I found my new Athlon (well the mobo's new, CPU's not) is 30% faster with the 2.4 kernel.

Have you reported a bug report on this ? And with which 2.6 kernel was it ?
I haven't. I planned on discussing it on debian-user first, and I mentioned it in passing in another thread and someone else was going to tell me what I did wrong.

I posted further details, but there's been no response.

The kernel is 2.6.7-1-k7; it may be a day or so before I could try 8 as I'm on dialup and my modem's rather busy atm.

the mobo's a Gigabyte GA-7S748-L - SiS 748 chipset, LAN.

fwiw I noticed something very like this between 2.2 and 2.4 when 2.4 was new: 2.2 was faster on my Pentium system. I think it was a earlier version of the same chipset.

Here are results on 2.6.7-1-k7:
/dev/hda:
Timing buffered disk reads:  108 MB in  3.02 seconds =  35.78 MB/sec

/dev/hdg:
Timing buffered disk reads:  120 MB in  3.01 seconds =  39.93 MB/sec
kowari:/etc#

Both drives are WD120 Gb (different models), hdg is on an Abit hotrod66 (promise chips).

If something like this is true of ppc too, you wouldn't want to drop 2.4 kernels.

Well, it should be fixed instead. None of upstream (all the linux-ppc
devleopers) have any interest left for 2.4, so there is really no sane way to
keep the support going unless we do it all ourselves.

It's worth testing; if you find no problem you have no problem:-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait