Re: dpkg can't access deb packages in archives

> > However, when it comes chroot running dpkg-reconfigure on
> > console-data, the package turns out not to be installed. Although
> > debootstrap checked and validated the package (and its two related
> > packages), it did not extract and install it.

> If you use dpkg -i you need to give filename (and full path) as
> parameter. dpkg -i .... should work, but dpkg won't install
> dependencies. Please use apt-get install <packagename> where you
> won't need to suply full path and filename and which will install
> dependencies.

Alexander,

The advice much appreciated, but one reason for my stumbling around
with dpkg instead of apt is that debootstrap did not install half the
packages it downloaded, including apt.

I did some dpkg -i for some libraries, etc., and was finally able to
get apt installed, and used it to fix things with apt-get -f
install. Then I was able to install aptitude and with it install some
packages.

However, my old problem reasserted itself and apt-get/aptitude can no
longer see the packages in apt cache, even when I cd there.

For example, I have nano installed, but when I do:

    :/# aptitude install nano
    couldn't find any package whose name or discription matched "nano"

I should get a report that the nano package is already installed.

Another example, for some reason (it is in the base system, although only
standard priority) debootstrap did not download locales, and I get all
the time an arror: perl: setting locale failed . I'm asked to check
locale settings, but locales package not installed. Even when I copy a
locale deb file into the cache archives, and update, it is not seen by
aptitude install.

Haines