Question: Code update schedule, RC2 due date, etc.

Hi,

I am wondering d-i code/package/RC2 update schedule (I know alioth is down
now.) in light of following situation:

cdrom-detect:
There are few working options to solve DMA related instability.
(debian/cdrom-detect.postinst is changed)
  1) My old patch with dummy mount (small impact patch but not beautiful)
  2) My new patch with completely reshuffled codes (major rewrite)

I hope one of them should be deployed for RC2.  Please tell me which one
can be considered.  Considering risks, I will not be surprised if you
want to take simpler patch.  But I like latter.

bugreporter-udeb:
I have done major overhaul and I verified it to work nicely.
(debian/bugreporter-udeb.postinst is changed)

Features:
  * USB stick (or any scsi vfat devices) can be used if vfat floppy
    is not available.
  * Now logs and hardware information are written under a new
    subdirectory and it does not overwrite previous reports any more.
  * This should fix 2 normal bugs:
     - #220306: cannot find usb floppy drives, etc
     - #221575: doesn't support USB floppy
     - I think even USB HDD may be used if it has vfat partition.
  * If bugreporter-udeb can get $REPORT_MEDIA_DEV exported from boot
    prompt parameters[*], we can skip slow (150 sec.) floppy check and go
    directly to USB key.  Or you can specify exact devfs name on which
    you want the installation reports are written.  (You need to format
    it as MSDOS vfat.)

If we want to get decent bug report from problematic laptop PCs, I think
this is very important one.  I have seen many new laptop comes without
floppy drive recently.  Asking user to use SSH is not as easy as
plugging USB storage devices such as vfat formatted USB stick.

Since there is not much looping, I think code is quite stable now.

I really want this to be in RC2.

I have made functioning iso image (cdrom-detect option 2 + bugreporter):
   http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/
       sarge-i386-netinst-bug.iso
 (I am overwriting above with latest $REPORT_MEDIA_DEV containing code.
  It will take 2 hours to upload now.)

It was a nice weekend :-)

Cheers,

Osamu

* Which package do we need to change to do this.  cdrom-detect also
  has similar feature adjustment by environment.