Re: new oldworld pmac miboot 2.6 floppies, root size should be ok, net_drivers still too big, please test.

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 05:48, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 11:25:58AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have uploaded oldworld 2.6 miboot floppies at :
> >
> >   http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/miboot
> >
> > Could people please test them, as i don't have the hardware for it.
> >
> > These should all be the right size, except the net_drivers floppy. I need to
> > move some stuff from it to the cd_drivers or something such.
> >
> > But still i would be interested if :
> >
> >   1) the boot or ofonlyboot floppies actually boot a kernel.
> >
> >   2) the root floppy gets loaded and actually does something usefull.
> >
> >   3) it is possible to use the cd_drivers floppy to do a cd install with them.
> >
> > All tests except 3) should be doable without touching the harddisk.
>
> Well, i moved some part of the net boot stuff to the cd-drivers floppy, but
> this is not a nice solution, since it is confusing to need the cd-drivers
> floppy for a net install.
>
> Still, this means we now have floppies of an appropriate size, and can do test
> again, once we are sure they work, we will tidy up the rest of it, altough i
> welcome suggestions on how to best solve this (my first approach of floppy
> stuff having been earlier this morning).
>
> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

Hi Sven,

Progress, of a sort...

I was really hopeful because when I booted either of the "boot" or
"ofonlyboot" floppy, I got the TuxMac icon for a while and the Mac made
happy floppy disk reading noises.  However, the noises eventually
stopped and a red "X" appeared over the TuxMac. Then nothing.  I had to
manually eject the floppy from the drive.

Both "boot" floppy disks did the same thing.  I tried re-writing them on
a different drive, and I tried booting on a different machine.  All
writes were verified with "cmp" to guard against old/dirty/recalcitrant
floppy drives and floppy disks.  Same results every time.

Sorry I don't have a better report...

Keep on keepin' on!

Rick

PS:  Would it be possible to make and read a "net-drivers2" floppy, as
an alternative to putting net drivers overflow on the CD-drivers floppy?

Just a thought...