hard disk install as cross install?

The beta manual for sarge installation is generally clear enough, but
I'm faced with a problem that it does not seem to anticipate.

My object is to install sarge on a fresh hard disk on the same scsi
bus as the disk that currently runs debian and has an online
connection. I'd like to try the 2.6 kernel for this installation.

In describing the hard disk installation, the manual says: "Booting the
installation system directly from a hard disk is another option for
many architectures. This will require some other operating system to
load the installer onto the hard disk."

In a cross install, it is possible to use a running system to do a
chroot install on another disk, if there's an initrd.img around, and
so I'm wondering if the the running sytem can run the new debian
installation system and use its own online connection to enable the
installer to access the needed files for it.

That is, can one avoid a system installation that sarts with a boot?

Haines Brown