Re: [l10n] Towards a central handling of D-I translations

[Christian Perrier]
> After lot of thinking, I have identified two major things to change in
> our infrastructure:
>
> 1) the translations of D-I package split over dozens of files, one per
>    package
> 2) the weaknesses of the current "3 stages" system for following
>    translation progress

There is another issue I would like to have addressed.  At the moment,
the d-i translations need to be added to the template files of each
and ever udeb package.  This make it impossible to add a translation
without updating the udebs, and also increases the package sizes.

It would be nice if it was possible to add translations "on the fly",
by providing a file with the new translations, and get d-i to
recognize and use these translations, loaded independenly from the
individual packages udebs.

The idea we discussed in Oldenburg a year ago, was to change cdebconf
to allow loading templates with new translations without
replacing/removing the old translations.  The idea is to include a
normal template with the individual udebs like this:

  Template foo
   More text.
  Description-xx_XX.UTF-8: Some translation.
   More translation.

In addition, it should be possible to load a template with extra
translations like this:

  Template foo
   More text.
  Description-yy_YY.UTF-8: Some other translation.
   More for another translation.

At the moment, this would remove the xx_XX.UTF-8 translation, but
there is no need to remove it.  cdebconf could be told to check if the
untranslated text in the cdebconf database is identical to the
untranslated text in the new template, and in this case append/replace
the provided translations and leave the other translations in the
cdebconf database as they are.

With such system, we could create translation udebs and load them
independent from the package udebs.

I thought there were a bug reported with this idea, but I failed to
find it in BTS.  Joey, do you remember where we wrote down this idea?