RE: LILO versus GRUB

note upgrading with apt-get won't change your kernel
if you wan't to use a new kernel then you should either install a
kernel-image package explicitly or compile your own kernel from source

> I wish to use the new installer  in order to make configuration of my
> various Ethernet NICs
> (on three machines) simpler,  but prefer not to switch to GRUB.

sure i understand that for new installs but if you already have your nics
configured on a machine upgrading seems simpler than reinstalling with the
new installer

iirc the new installer does make lilo availible although i think you may
need to use expert mode

also i have noticed that the standard sarge kernel takes ages to load with
lilo

> Lastly,  will updating Woody result in a Sarge intallation now that
> Woody is being replaced
> as the "stable" version ? (Maybe that one should be on a different list ?)

it depends on exactly what your /etc/apt/sources.list says

if it says stable then it will start using packages from sarge when the
stable symlink is changed on the mirrors to point to sarge

if it says woody then woody it will stay until you change it explicitly

apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade (or if you are more paranoid apt-get
upgrade followed by manual upgrading of packages with apt-get install) is
needed to actually upgrade everything on your system to the sarge versions
---