installer rc1 and a bootdisk

I recently tried to install sarge using
debian-installer rc1. I don't want my MBR touched and
there is no utility to make a bootdisk. I tried using
grub and lilo and neither would install to a floppy. I
then tried to continue without a bootloader. I was
told to use "root=dev/hda3" at the prompt but it
didn't work either, most likely because devfs was
loaded. The kernel complained about not finding the
root partition. Is there some way to make a boot
floppy or to turn devfs off "devfs=off doesn't work"
or does someone know the path of /dev/hda3 in devfs. I
used the 2.6 kernel by the way.

brwiese