Re: r18868 - in trunk/packages/ddetect: . debian

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 03:12:02PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:

> On Wednesday 04 August 2004 22:10, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 03:08:54PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > Why should d-i care about the mouse? Shouldn't you be patching X's
> > > configuration program?
> >
> > Well, this is the modules which will be added to the /etc/modules. I
> > understand that it may well be possible that the X installation stuff, but
> > i suppose the mouse should be usefull even for gpm or other non-X stuff,
> > and having no mouse driver module loaded after the reboot is not a nice
> > thing.
> >
> > So, if this is not the right place for registering this module for future
> > use, what is ? discover, which has trouble handling more than one module
> > per pci id ? hotplug ? The X configuration stuff ? i have some doubt about
> > Branden accepting this kind of stuff though, unless there is a generic
> > module loading mechanism for X, and this doesn't solve the case of non-X
> > mouse users.
>
> Could it be this is the same problem as #255744?

Indeed it sounds similar, except that we are on powerpc, and i am not sure
enough about the whole hotplug thingy to be sure if the psmouse module will be
loaded or not. Keep in mind that most powerpc folk usually use usb mouses, so
X may maybe not try to load psmouse on powerpc, not sure.

Friendly,

Sven Luther