Re: Automatic allocation of swap

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 09:21:05AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> Osamu Aoki wrote:
> >On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 09:04:50PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> By spreading data over multiple partitions with great gobs of free space
> between small (after install) amounts of data, you're forcing longer seeks.

Yes.  We all know this.  Let's not argue over belief.

If you want us to change something, few ways to do this.

 1. clear facts (bench mark result of different configurations)
 2. reference some authoritative documents.

and patch always help.  Really, I did not say putting swap at the edge
of disk is a good thing.  I was annoyed by calling this "stupid".

Please do not call action of DD stupid even if they are.

> Here is my desktop pc. It's performance sucks bunnies through capilliary
> tubes:
> summer@Dolphin:~/d-i$ /sbin/swapon -s
> Filename                                Type            Size    Used
> Priority
> /var/swapfile                           file            524280  455604  -1
> /var/swapfile2                          file            524280  69296   -2
> summer@Dolphin:~/d-i$ df -lh
> /dev/hda3              29G   27G  639M  98% /
                                          ^

                                      no wonder, sigh.

> tmpfs                 189M     0  189M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/hda1              23M   21M  1.4M  94% /boot
> summer@Dolphin:~/d-i$
> That's almost certainly bad. You probably don't spend much time reading
> program files and documentation in comparison with the time reading and
> writing variable data.

I have been reading and editing documentation a lot.  Please install
debian-reference-en package from Sarge :-)  Then you know what.

 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/reference.en.html

Oh, please read install guide too.  That has good amount of partitioning
etc. too.

 http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

> You're a software developer writing in C? Would you say, less than a
> second to read gcc then a minute or so for a compile? Sure, it depends,
> but the ratios will be somewhat like those.

I usually do not write C nor compile it much.  (With my old 386, I used
to compile my kernel or patched-X for a day, though.)

Really, Linux or Windows, it is bad idea to fill actively used disk up
to 98%.  (For your case / partition.  /boot may be OK since it is
practically read-only.)  For Linux, 90-95%, for windows 60-70% is my
common sense usage.

Cheers,

Osamu

PS: FYI
   None of these habits should be carried over to Linux and ext2. Linux
   native file systems do not need defragmentation under normal use and this
   includes any condition with at least 5% of free space on a disk. There is
   a defragmentation tool for ext2 called defrag, but users are cautioned
   against casual use. .....    From: Linux Partitioning mini-FAQ
      http://pw1.netcom.com/~kmself/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

   He advocates 3x RAM for swap.