Crude Hack, or Elegant Solution

My effort at answering questions by inserting them into the environment failed.

However, I've discovered env2debconf.

With this small change:
sed <floppy/sbin/env2debconf~ >floppy/sbin/env2debconf \
       -e 's/set -e/set -ex/' \
       -e '/for/ s=\<set\>=set;cat /etc/env 2>/dev/null='

I can put a list into /etc/env and the answers become the new defaults.

It seems to me this approach goes a good way to automating the process of installing with d-i.

These are values I'm using atm:
ns:/mnt# cat floppy/etc/env
mirror/country=Australia
mirror/protocol=http
mirror/http/hostname=debian.demo.lan
mirror/http/proxy=http://debian.demo.lan:3128/
apt-setup/mirror=ftp.wa.au.debian.org
mirror/suite=testing
apt-setup/country=Australia
apt-setup/directory=/debian
apt-setup/hostname=debian.demo.lan
apt-setup/non-free=true
apt-setup/non-us=true
apt-setup/contrib=true

To some extent I'm guessing what to do: atm the choice of mirror doesn't work, but country does.

Questions I'd like answered now:
1. How do I get _my_ choices of install language and keyboard?
2. How do I get these questions marked "seen" so I don't see them?
3. Is there a script I can run to get a consolidated list of questions, & acceptable answers? A grep over the templates file goes part of the way,
4. How do I tell d-i to install off debian.demo.lan?

I'm trying to get something close to an automatic install, and that means no pauses unless there's an error.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait