modconf maintainance - status and future?

Hi.

In recent months there were some problems with the modconf program,
especially with the linux 2.6 support. Since modconf isn't a part
of the Debian installation process anymore (probably since the
bf->d-i step) there seems no great interest in maintaining it.
Eduard Bloch has done some work, but even that was about seven months
ago.

I still use modconf and still like it for some purposes.
So I would like to improve the situation.

Two questions:
1) Would it be ok to officially search for people interested in
maintaining it (by mail to WNPP and/or debian-devel)?
2) If there are actually some people interested in this (I am, so
that if is superfluous) should the program still located in the
debian-boot CVS and have debian-boot as maintainer address?

Opinions, comments?

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>