Re: Why isn't console-cyrillic part of console-data?

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:55:39AM +0100, Alastair McKinstry wrote:

> I think some of the stuff in console-cyrillic should be merged
> into console-common post-sarge; console-common is due for a
> rewrite: mostly to debconf' the font, etc. settings,
> but also make it more robust.

I see that many of the fonts in console-data (not only the Cyrillic)
have multiple variants for different encodings.  Is this intentional or
due to the history of the package? All fonts in console-cyrillic have
different faces and use some custom artificial encogings.  The real
encoding is chosen by ACM.

> Conversely, some of the cyrillic fonts/keymaps in
> console-data may be better off in console-data;

It is possible to optimize the fonts and keymaps in console-data.  The
problem is that all maintainers of this package added stuff to it but
only on request and after negotiations.  As a result some of the files
in console-data are rarely used and some languages and keyboards are not
supported at all

I think we should not base the debconf questions on the existing data
but develop them in some generic way.  Then the files that are necessary
to support the configurations handled via debconf should be in
console-data.  All other files are obviously rarely used and should be
moved in other packages.

> the idea should be console-common as standard, with
> console-tools | kbd choice, and console-data | console-cyrillic.

At present console-cyrillic is an alternative of console-data.  In
sarge+1 I'd like to see this package not as an alternative but as a
complement - all important stuff is in console-data and console-cyrillic
is one of the packages containing the less used data.

Another variant is this: two packages console-data-base and
console-data.  The first contains the important data and the second more
rarely used files.  In this way console-cyrillic can be obsoleted.

Ofcourse in both of these packages the data should be well organized. If
you want I can help with this.  I am not happy with the current state of
console-data.

> loadkeys should work with use X keymaps.

This is great!  Do you know who will work for this and how it will be
implemented?

Anton Zinoviev