Re: Root-on-raid install ?

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 22:59, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> The debian installer, however, doesn't know how to install with root &
> boot on anything but a 'plain' partition.  There are several ways around
> this (search the archives for a message from me describing how to
> install to root-on-LVM-on-RAID for details on one such method).

I finally got around to looking into this some more.
Using the 20040724 sid DI build I followed your instructions in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/05/msg03665.html
with separate RAID1 devices for /boot, / & /home (no LVM) and it all
seems to be working fine (once I figured out I had to chroot /target the
grub commands; grub also has to be run with --no-curses).

I got the (hd0,) entries in the menu.lst too.

During an abortive first attempt I noticed a /target/etc/mdadm
was created even though I hadn't added mdadm to the
/usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/sarge base list, suggesting maybe mdadm is
sucked in anyway (I don't investigate further though).

Thanks for the great info
Tim