Re: FireWire module issues on powerpc, worked around

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 01:57:57PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > To cope with this, I've moved eth1394 from firewire-core-modules to
> > nic-modules in linux-kernel-di-powerpc-2.6, so that it isn't available
> > until ethdetect runs. This is fairly simple for powerpc 2.6, as it turns
> > out that every target that contains nic-modules already contains
> > firewire-core-modules.
>
> I think that powerpc net_drivers does not, but maybe that image is not
> built with the 2.6 kernel?

Indeed so.

> Powerpc netboot has nic-modules and no firewire-core-modules, but my
> change described below added it to the 2.6 version.

powerpc netboot in fact did have firewire-core-modules due to the
powerpc-extra-modules file used for 2.6, but your change should be
idempotent anyway.

> > However, I hesitated to do this in kernel-wedge
> > (where IMHO this really should go) because I wasn't sure if i386 had the
> > same property, and I didn't want to mess with that at this point. At any
> > rate, with the discover1-data changes my PowerBook gets all its
> > interfaces in the right order both before and after the first reboot.
> >
> > Perhaps an i386 person with a FireWire-capable system could see if a
> > similar change is needed there?
>
> (This all stinks and we really should use nameif..)

Amen!

> On i386, nic-modules does appear on images without of
> firewire-core-modules, and some of these are very tight on space (like
> the root floppy), but none of those really need firewire ethernet since
> it's only used with 2.6.

I'd expect nic-extra-modules to be an option, too. How common is
FireWire Ethernet really?