Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Cannot_install_any_debian_-_no_kernels_support_USB_net_cards??=

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 02:24:02AM +0200, spamspamspam@grexengine.com wrote:
> It seems that the debian installer (tried both stable and testing in
> pretty much every conceivable CD-based flavour) is hard-coded to not
> allow people to use a USB network card.
>
> Testing won't even install because it keeps complaining there's no
> network card and refuses to continue installing beyond that point.

Strange; nic-usb-modules in the new debian-installer has pegasus.o, and
it's priority standard so it really should be pulled in by the "Load
installer components from CD" step. I've checked, and that package is on
our current CD images.

Can I just check that one of the images you tried was from
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/i386/current/ (or
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sid_d-i/i386/current/,
equivalently)?

It looks like you'd have to 'modprobe pegasus' by hand on tty2, because
discover1-data doesn't seem to list it as a module anywhere. You could
report your 'lspci', 'lspci -n', and 'lsusb' output as a discover1-data
bug to help fix this.

> I tried installing stable with no networking, and then compiling a
> custom kernel, but the supplied 2.4.18 kernel source that came on the
> stable CD (1 or 2) has all the USB network cards deleted (their section
> in make menuconfig is empty, ditto in make config).

They're marked experimental in 2.4. You'll need to turn on the "Prompt
for development and/or incomplete code/drivers" option.

Cheers,