d-i with Dell Dimension XPS M200s

Hi all,

I recently received an old Dell M200s tower desktop.  I tried to install
Debian on it with beta4.  But the kernel failed to detect the IDE
controller, so I don't have any drives at the drive partition stage.

According to the Dell website, the M200s uses the SMSC FDC37C93xFR IO
controller.  I did a search of the 2.4.23 kernel source tree and only
found references to this chip in IrDA and the Alpha directory.  I see no
references of this chip in the IDE driver directory.  But a search on
google returns mailing list entries that imply people have installed
Debian on this computer.

So my question is; has anyone tried installing with d-i on this computer?
Does Linux work with this IO chip on the x86 architecture?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--jc
--
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching@flex.com     wh6brr@uhm.ampr.org