time to become very careful with changes to initrd udebs

I just want to point out that any uploads made of udebs that are present
on the d-i initrds now starts to become rather risky. My current plans
for the d-i release are to finalise changes to the udebs on the initrds
by the 27th. Any uploads made today will only have 1 day of testing and
1 chance to get final fixes before that cutoff point:

24th  udeb enters unstable at dinstall
25th  udeb enters initrds from daily builds
26th  likely many problems would not be reported before here
      one chance here to upload fixes
      packages with only translations will be uploaded here
27th  ** initrd udeb cutoff point **
      initrd builds begin
30th  initrd builds end

After the cutoff point, any further changes to udebs on initrds will
entail massive pain, including a slip in our release schedule of 2 to 5
days. I won't be at all happy about doing it for new bugs that are
introduced after this email is sent. I appreciate those of you who are
already holding back potentially dangerous changes.

Of course that only applies to udebs that appear on most initrds.
Udebs that do not have a more relaxed schedule:

26th  packages with only translations will be uploaded here
30th  final chance to update udebs
31th  possibly final CD builds

So we have six chances to upload such udebs to the archive and get some
testing before we absolutely have to get them right.

--
see shy jo