Re: UTF-8 default

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 12:22:20AM +0200, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> Is there any reason why UTF-8 seems to be the default in Debian nowadays? I
> installed sid with d-i (current businesscard as of 2004-07-21) and noticed
> that LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (a locale that was not even generated); this
> confused aterm and probably other applications.

I would be curious to know how this got set in the absence of a
generated locale.  Do you know the particulars of his environment?  Is
he running one of the desktop envs (GNOME/KDE)?

> A friend of mine installed sarge with d-i today (ie. current businesscard as
> of 2004-07-22) and now his x-chat is suddenly spewing out UTF-8 on IRC. Are
> we copying Red Hat's classic bugs here? :-)

Sending UTF-8 text on IRC is not a bug.  Sending anything *other* than
UTF-8 should be considered a bug. :P

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer