Re: Some reflections on the future of partman [was: Partman]

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 06:15:46AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

> You should always survey the opposition. Anaconda, Red Hat's GPL
> installer, is written in Python. It does both text-mode and graphical
> installs.

The text-mode code and the graphical code in Anaconda are doubled.  It
is as if there are two Anaconda-s -- one for text-mode and another
graphical.  In PGI the situation is the same.  However in YaST there is
very litle code doubling I think.  Moreover YaST is not only an
installer but also a full-featured configurator (it does for SuSE all
that debconf can do for Debian and more).

I don't know the principles of YaST so I can not say whether we can add
to debconf the features that YaST has.

Anton Zinoviev