Re: Partman

Hola Anton Zinoviev!

> > Then, I think that a GREAT difference could be made by transforming the "Help"
> > and "Finish" options into buttons at the bottom of the screen.
> This is something that cdebconf doesn't allow (for now).

Uhm?  I'm talking about a button like the "Back" button.  Are you saying
that cdebconf allows a "Back" button, but not "Help" or "Finish"
buttons?

> Today I uploaded a new version of partman that does things in this way:
> === for swap space:
> Use as:     swap area
> === for partition with file system:
> Use as:     ext3 journalling file system
> Format:     yes
> === for LVM, RAID, PALO, NewWorld, etc:
> Use as: physical volume of LVM

Sounds great to me! Can't wait till I see it!!

> Although it would be quiet exotic I think it is possible to install a
> boot loader in the first sector of a swap partition.  So the bootable
> flag makes sence even for swap. :-)
>
> What about adding an item "Preferences" in the main partitioning screen.
> Initially many of the items in the menus are hidden (Bootable flag,
> LVM, RAID).  The experienced users will have to go to "Preferences" in
> order to show all items.

Uhm, "Preferences" does not sound like the name for it, maybe
"Advanced" ?

> > The one I already submitted is a "Server" recipe, that exchanges the
> > /var and /home sizes from the "Multi-User" recipe (or something like
> > that), I think that having this one would make a lot of people's lives
> > easier.
> One requirement (in my opinion) for the recipes is that their name will
> say enough to the people who install Debian.  What is the purpose of a
> server with big /var?  (http, squid, mail?, news, what else?) (#251415)

Any of those could be.  Also database server.  Almost any server, except
a file server.

> By the way why do you think that the "multi-user" recipe is not properly
> named? (#251414)

Well, it means nothing to me.  You could be wishing to have everything
in a separate partition and only one user, or you could be wishing to
have a multi user system in a web server, and thus you might want a much
bigger /var.

I can see how this config IS related to multi-user, but still the name
is more descriptive.

--
 Bessos,    (o_
    Marga.  (\)_