Re: smartmontools

You can enable the support (even for motherboards without S.M.A.R.T) support with the
flag "-e" on the command line. If I'm not wrong, this is the default behaviour of it startup
script.

(IMHO, the addition of smartmontools in the default debian installation is a good idea for
most part of default Pentium installations and above).