Problem formatting existing partitions

I'm trying to install to a disk with existing (ext3) parititions.

I chose to use the existing partitions, to reformat them as ext3.

The format failed as the partitions have existing journals.

On a side note, can we have symlinks in /dev for those who like the disks to appear in the traditional place and to munge them with more user-friendly tools such as fdisk?

The verson of d-i I'm using is from sid, downloaded a few hours ago. I'm booting off the LAN.

btw Is there any reason that LAN-booting expects I want to do a network install? I could, for example, install off USB on a system that won't boot USB.