Suggestion - swap + root encryption

Hello,

I want to suggest a feature which would make Debian the world's top distribution in that field.

I'm talking about swap + root encryption. Especially root encryption is not so easy to set up, so a lot of people don't use it and often even ask questions like "but why would someone want to encrypt the whole hard disk"? ;-).

3 short answers:

- Plausible deniability (you could say that there is only random data on your hard disk or on the partition where your crpyted Debian installation is, regardless of what's on the other partitions) - Higher security by not booting from writable media (only USB or CD + secret command + password to access crypted data) - The more people use strong crypto, the more crypto becomes something normal instead of a "bad guys tool".

SuSE's installer currently only supports an encrypted /home partition, which is already a step ahead of Debian. If some one knows about other distros which support encryption at the installation, please tell me.

There even is a free version of an encryption software for Windows which encrypts the whole hard disk (www.ce-infosys.de).

What do you think about it for the Debian installer?

Regards,

Neodaxus