Trouble installing with 'vanilla-3.0.23-netinst.iso'

Hello,

I'm trying a netinstall using 'vanilla-3.0.23-netinst.iso' that I obtained from this link:

http://people.debian.org/~dwhedon/boot-floppies/vanilla-3.0.23-netinst.iso

My machine locks up during the boot process. The last line of debug spew I see before the lock-up is one that says,

Serial driver version 4.27 with HUB-6 MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled

On another (very different!!) machine that doesn't exhibit this problem, the very next line of spew I see is this:

   ttys00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

This lead me to hypothesize that the lockup on my desired install machine had to do with the probing of COM ports. At the time, I had my COM ports disabled in my system BIOS. Two other configurations I've tried in the SBIOS menu for the COM ports were:
   + Both "AUTO" (which I'm guessing is the Plug-n-Play setting)
+ one "3F8/irq4", and one "disabled" to match the apparent setting of the second machine (the one that didn't hang during boot.)

None of this finessing had any effect on the problem... the desired installation machine continued to hang in the exact place and manner as before.

Is this issue familiar to anyone?

Here are some stats on the desired installation machine:

Athlon XP 3200+ on a ASUS A7N8X-E motherboard (revision 1.01) sporting the NVIDIA nForce2 chipset, and including:
      1 gig of RAM (dual channel and 400MHz DDR)
      Silicon Image SATALink Sil3112ACT144 (SATA RAID, on the motherboard)
      2 HDD on IDE0
      1 HDD (slave) and DVD+RW (master) on IDE1
      NVIDIA  GeForceFX 5200 (AGP slot)
The motherboard has integrated 10/100 and gigabit ethernet, but I'm using a 3com add-in card for connectivity during this install, as I suspect that 'vanilla-3.0.23-netinst.iso' most likely lacks support for the integrated adapters.

Any ideas? I've installed several other distributions on this machine (in fact I'm typing this email whilst in Fedora Core 2, using the very same machine,) but thought I'd see if Debian fits my needs/desires better.

</ryan>