Re: d-i network install downloads too much

Herbert Kaminski wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:34:56 +0800, John wrote:

Even if bandwidth didn't cause problems, the fact that it downloads so much junk means I can't install in 64 Mbytes.

This must be a problem of your special setup. Using the files
'netboot.initrd.gz' and 'vmlinuz' from

As I said, it was downloading stuff for three!! kernels.

http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/netboot
I have installed repeatedly in the past with 64MB. 32 MB would
not be enough, even when swap is activated manually, but 64MB
needs no additional precautions.
Unfortunately, the daily build of these files with kernel 2.6
was broken yesterday, but 2.4 worked, and I am confident 2.6
will also work again soon.

AFAICT They're both broken today.

I've got a stack of these machines so high I can't jump over them.

Then you definitely want to setup a local http proxy (I use wwwoffle).
It speeds up the second install tremendously, in my case from
90 kB/sec (DSL) to 2000 kB/sec.

I have Squid set up and working well. I just need to devise appropriate iptables rules to force the traffic through it. I've got some someplace, just need to find them.

Hopefully, I'll have 1500 incoming ADSL RSN.