Re: Zip Disk installation....

Am 2004-07-03 18:53:07, schrieb Bert Emert:
>Dear Debian...
>
>    While I am an experianced Tech, I am new to Linux installation.
>My plan is to install Linux onto a 486/100 laptop.  IN this regard, I
>have a few questions?
>
>    What version of Debian would you suggest?

I use WOODY.

>    Can Debian installed from a (100mb) zip disk?

It depends, whether your ZIP-Drive is botagle under a 486 or not.

>        If yes...
>
>        Is there a particular image I can RawWrite to the zip drive?

1)  Make the ZIP-Disk bootable from windows.
2)  Copy the loadlin.exe onto the ZIP-Disk
3)  Copy the desired rescue.bin, root.bin and drivers.tgz onto it
4)  Use the file install.bat and rename it to autoexec.bat
5)  correct the path to the files in it.

6)  Boot your computer with the ZIP-Disk.

>        Or, can I use the same image as a CD...

NO

>    Another is my Panasonic KXL-D720, PCMCIA CD/ROM Player.  However,
>I have searched High and lo for a Linux disk that will boot and read
>this CD, without success.  If you have Linux boot image to offer
>please let me know.

I think, your CD-Rom will not be bootable on a 486...
But you can download the FIRST CD-Image of WOODY AND the rescue.bin,
root.bin and the four drives-X.bin and put the six images onto floppy
disks...

>    I am not currently able to hook this laptop to the internet
>directly, so I am not certain what other possibilites are
>available...  Thanks for your assistance.
>
>          Sincerely, Bert Emert
>          (1tim256@safeplace.net)

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi