Mounting file system on new partition fails

Hello, I am sorry to trouble you with my difficulties, however, I feel that my ability to self-help has run out. I am installing Sarge on a drive which is half Windows XP and half free space. Sarge has no problems detecting my hard drive or existing partitions. I select for the partition manager to automatically partition the free space according to the default settings, "All files in one partition". After the partition is created, I get the following error message:

"The attempt to moutn a file system with type ext3 in IDE2 master partition #2 (hdc2) at / failed."

I haven't been able to find any similar experiences documented anywhere. I have tried tweaking the partition options with no success.
Thank you in advance,
Brad