Re: Debian Sarge on oldworld Powermac?

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 11:43:49AM +0200, Ralf Schlatterbeck wrote:
> Now another problem surfaces: The hard-disk drive is only found
> sometimes when booting woody from floppy. With MacOS there is no
> problem. Anybody seen this, is a cure available? Maybe the disk is not
> spun up?

There are two scsi controllers on the motherboard of a 7600. The one
that has an external connector is an ncr53c94, but the one that the
internal drives normally use is a custom chip called mesh. The linux
driver for the ncr53c94 is much more reliable, since it is actually
a well documented chip. You might want to try switching which
internal connector the internal drives are using. In particular,
I remember some people having problems with any drive with SCSI
id 0 on the mesh controller. You will lose some speed by using
the other controller, and it will show up at a different path in
OF, but it should work better.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com