Sata and other catastrophies

I'm trying to get debian booting on a Shuttle FN85G4 which I unfortunately
bought with a sata disk.

I found several issues after booting the 2.6.5-i386 stock kernel (from an
ide drive):
* siimage ide and libata/sata_sil clash for the drive which then appears
as sdc
* I had dma timeout problems - non fatal on ide fatal on sata

Against the dma timeout I disabled "io apic" (found on the web) and I
removed the siimage ide drivers. Now it ran fine.
Next I copied everything on the sata drive, made a chrooted lilo, rebooted
and was happy for a short time.

On a later boot I encountered the (now dreaded) Lilo timestamp mismatch.

My next try was grub which worked half. The boot started but failed
because at the time when the kernel tries to pivot_root to the root device
/dev/sda1 the root device has not yet its name and cannot be mounted even
though libata and sata_sil are in the kernel (not modules).

Any ideas are appreciated,

Torsten