[d-i] netinst i386 (04-june-04) problem with Release file

Hi all,
I tried to install the netinst i386 iso (tc1) on my PII 233 processor system,
but when I tried the base system installation task I encountered the
following error:

Error in debootstrap
Error during the Release file download
/cdrom/dists/testing/Release

in tty3 I found the following error message:

/usr/sbin/debootstrap: 224: cannot create /target/var/lib/dpkg/status:
Read-only file system

What can it be due to? h/w problem, even if it sounds starnge?

Thanx in advance and regards

SteX

--
http://www.openlabs.it/~stex