Re: locale for the root user

Bill Allombert wrote:
> This has some consequences:
> 1) Debian menu is translated, since update-menus was ran under
> proper locales! This is very nice ! Thanks to everybody involved!

Is this _really_ a good thing?

> 2) The debconf database might contain some non-7bit value
> (especially since some default value are translated by non-7bit string)
> Unfortunately, if root rerun debconf, it will use C-locale and it
> seems debconf under C locale does not handle well non-7bit string in
> the database. I had problems with dexconf "Enter an indentifier for
> your video card" which default in french to "carte vidéo générique".

Those strings sound like descriptions, which should not be displayed in
localised form if the locale is C. Details?

> a) should the root user be configured with proper locale by d-i ?

d-i appends a LANG setting to /etc/environment, is there some reason why
this doesn't affect root?

> b) could some applications get the 'system language' somewhere
> and use it when LANG=C ?

This sounds very broken to me. When I set LANG=C, I want C. Period.

--
see shy jo