debootstrap failed on Alpha

The last few lines of /var/log/messages.

# tail  -n 20 /var/log/messages
Warning: Fake start-stop-daemon called, doing nothing
.
Setting up libtextwrap1 (0.1-1) ...
Setting up console-common (0.7.42) ...
Looking for keymap to install:
NONE
Setting up tasksel (1.51) ...
Setting up console-tools (0.2.3dbs-52) ...
Setting up base-config (2.23) ...
apt-utils
umount: /target/dev/pts: No such file or directory
umount: /target/dev/shm: No such file or directory
umount: /target/proc/bus/usb: No such file or directory
~ #

I tried to see what is the error for apt-utils. But now my main menu is segfaulting. I am using a serial console . How do i switch to vitrual console ? is it possible ?

BTW is there any option that i can use to ask the system to load de4x5.o instead of tulip. Booting using DEBCONF_PRIORITY=low ask lot of questions which i am not interested in.

-aneesh