Re: nl_NL install: accented characters not shown correctly

Quoting Frans Pop (aragorn@tiscali.nl):
> Package: country-chooser
> Version: 20040522
> Severity: important
>
> I have done a Dutch language installation today for testing translation
> problems. After selecting language nl_NL, the country-chooser menu ("Land
> kiezen") shows UTF-8 coded characters instead of the proper accented
> character.
>
> Example: 'België' (Europa) is displayed as 'België'

bleh bleh bleh.....I always tell translators to use stuff in their own
language as much as possible. Please forget the "I want my machines
speak English" thing as much as you can. I can tell you : having
"machines that speak French" never hurted me or my users....

I'm very sad that no dutch translator noticed this.....as it is now
highly unlikely that we fix it for rc1.

First, Frans, thanks for noticing, of course....please report this
against "countrychooser" instead of "country-chooser". Maybe using a
"normal" severity could be enough.

The problem comes from the countrychooser dutch po file by Bart is
using ISO-8859-1 while iso-codes by Luk uses UTF-8. As both
translations are merged together during countrychooser build, we end
up with this problem.

Changing the countrychooser po file to UTF-8 is imho the simplest
solution to this problem.

I will someday try investigating while the merge fails like this as we
could expect that gettext tools can handle merging two differently
encoded files....