Re: patch to split fsck

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 03:41:06PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> This allows the new e2fsprogs to be unpacked before fsck, at which point
> /sbin/fsck will disappear until fsck is unpacked, which is a
> showstopper. It's very hard to solve this and avoid breaking fresh
> installs at the same time.
>
> I think we'll need something like:
>
>   Package: fsck
>   Essential: yes
>   Pre-Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, libblkid1 (= ${Source-Version}), libuuid1 (= ${Source-Version})
>   Depends: e2fsprogs | fsck-backend
>   Replaces: e2fsprogs (<< first-split-version)
>
>   Package: e2fsprogs
>   Pre-Depends: fsck
>   Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
>
> This guarantees that fsck remains available during upgrades no matter
> what, and ensures that fresh installs are at least possible. This isn't
> optimal, but, given that you have to install one of fsck and a
> fsck-backend after the other, I don't see a better possibility.

Everything seems fine here. What requirements does the optimal solution have?

> Aside from the base dependency freeze, I think the complexity of this
> change alone marks it as post-sarge.

Yes, but we can start sorting it out now, so that it can be commited just
after sarge release.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T., Ainulindale (Silmarillion)