Re: Definition of COUNTRY (Was: Resignation)

Steve Langasek wrote:

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 07:05:00AM +0800, David Palmer wrote:
@ 05/05/2004 11:40 : wrote Wang WenRui :

The 2nd screen of d-i:

  /---------------------[Choose *country*]-----------------\
  | Choose your country:                                   |
  |  China                                                 |
  |  Hong Kong                                             |
  |  Taiwan                                                |
  \_______________________________________________________/

This is ridiculous. Nobody calls Hong Kong a country.
It is incorrect to call it as a country.  It is very relevant to list it
in the installer, due to the de facto differences in written language
use between Hong Kong (and blame the British if you like, but the
difference is there) and the rest of mainland China.

Indeed. The word "country" needs to be replaced by "locale" or similar. It might be best to drop the word country in to avoid any "international incidents". For example, Canada has two locales, English and French. You don't say,

Choose your country:
 * English Canada
 * French Canada

That would be inapproriate. It should be,

Select your locale:
 * Canada
    + English
    + French

This can be a very sensitive matter, too sensitive if you ask me. Just think about:

Choose your country:
 * Israel
 * Palestine

or for similar reaction,

 * Israel & West Bank

That is why the word "country" should be dropped in favour of "locale". Then we can keep Taiwan and Palestine and Tibet and others in the installer (or even add them :). At least with "locale" no one can complain that anyone is in favour of segregation or of trying to separate countries.

- Adam

PS: For people that don't know what locale means,

*lo·cale* <https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dlocale> ( P ) *Pronunciation Key* <http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html> (l-kl)
/n./

  1. A place, especially with reference to a particular event
  2. The scene or setting, as of a novel.