Re: #243175: bootkbd=fr does not work

>Quoting Alastair McKinstry (mckinstry@computer.org):
>> Hi,
>>
>> bootkbd=fr does not work because "fr" is not a keymap supplied within
>> d-i. If you try
>> "bootkbd=fr-latin1", it works.
>>
>> The keymaps supplied in d-i are a subset of those in console-data, for
>> space reasons;
>> (The selection is actually that chosen for woody).
>>
>> I think we probably need to document the working list of keymaps in the
>> installer docs.
>
>Hmmm, that's too bad as typing bootkbd=fr-latin1 on a french keyboard
>which temporarily uses a US QWERTY layout is a real nightmare...
>
>You have to type bootkbd=fr)lztin& for really getting
>"bootkbd=fr-latin1"
>
>Having a kind of alias would definitely be a great improvement because
>"bootkbd=fr" can be entered natively as such on a french keyboard (the
>key locations for these characters are the same).
>
>Of course bootkbd=fr would then give fr-latin1 as keyboard layout...

Hmm, Symlinks would work easily here, and be cheap.
(ie fr.kmap -> fr-latin1.kmap. Once console-data was installed,
the fr.kmap would be available ...
The slight disadvantage would be that key behaviour would
change slightly on 2nd stage install; but its not that big
a problem (ie you used fr-latin1 in d-i, but fr on 2nd stage
and installed machine) but its not that big a problem.

Will test tonight.

Regards,
Alastair