ATI Radeon

My name is Brian, I live in Western Washingon (Peninsula) and I downloaded the latest verson of Debian (7 disks) from local servers. After installing the software, I discovered the kernel will not access the display (x server). I set the default display at gdm, and gnome will not load. The kernel loads and I am limited to command line ability and I must get my machine working. I have had a lot of difficulty installing the system with my current ATI Radeon, pci, and though the distro does support it, I cant get it to work. Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated,

Cheers.

Brian

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page ? FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/