Re: [Manual] Rescue options if reboot fails?

Frans Pop wrote:
> The manual still describes the use of a rescue floppy in case the first reboot
> fails.
>
> What options does a user have with d-i if the first reboot should fail?
> Can the boot media (floppy or CD) be used for rescue (if yes, how)?

d-i can be used to some degree as a rescue system, if you back out from
the partitioner and run a shell, you can mount any kind of fileystem,
chroot into it and do stuff. It's not really designed as a rescue system
though.

> I have tried 'linux root=/dev/hd..' and 'linux root=/dev/discs/disc../part..'
> from CD and floppy but both failed (as I somewhat expected).

The problem here is that the i386 kernel uses an initrd, which is only
on the hard drive. Isolinux can't load it from there.

--
see shy jo