Serial console install using Russian language is not functional?

[Please CC responses to me, thanks.]

Hi,

I am trying an installation on a Sparcstation 10 over serial console.
Everything goes fine with English as the language, however when I choose
Russian (Russia) as the language in the initial screen, the things go
pretty bad. All I get is the first screen (screenshot at [0]) and then it
just sits there (waited for at least 3 minutes before aborting). Nothing
like this happens during an English install. Before filing bugs, I would
like to ask a few questions:

* Are non-English (in particular, Russian) installs over serial console
  supported at all? Is Russian translation actually incorporated into
  the latest boot images? I am using an image built yesterday by Joshua
  Kwan.
* Since I do not see any Russian characters in the window header, what
  settings should I use for the terminal? The terminal (xterm) I am using
  is set up with ru_RU.KOI8-R locale, and is known for sure to be able to
  display Russian (Cyrillic) characters in KOI8-R encoding. Should I use
  UTF? Tried using xterm in the UTF8 mode (xterm -u8), but result is the
  same.
* Any issues with serial console which might prevent me from seeing the
  non-English characters? I am using cu to connect, it works completely
  fine with English install.

[0] http://www.wooyd.org/d-i/shot1.jpg

Thanks for your excellent work and best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org