Re: debian-sarge grub install

Thanks for your response.  I ended up using the old installer because it
was my only system and I needed it working.

However I use disk caddies so I will try another HD and let you know.

BTW I tried the new installer around a month ago on a laptop and after
re-booting it lost PCMCIA (A known problem when netbooting with PCMCIA
nic).  Has this been fixed.

Keep up the good work,
Ben

--
Ben Edwards - 2287

>>> Patrick Eaton <eatonpl@earthlink.net> 04/19/04 11:44pm >>>
Can you grub again and use find to confirm it can see files in your
root
directory? like so...

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
  (hd0,1)
grub> quit

also run fdisk and see which partition is marked active.  Then we can
better tell what the problem is.  Its possible that grub is installed
in
your MBR but another partition is active (marked for booting).

Patrick

Takis Diakoumis wrote:
> [...]
>
> i am installing debian-sarge (27032004 release) and can't seem to
get
> beyond the first reboot.
>
> when i do reboot all i get is GRUB GRUB GRUB... all over the screen
> repeating infinitely so it appears to be a problem with the boot
loader and
> its installation in the MBR (?).
>
> the HD setup is as follows:
> hda - 120GB drive (/)
> hdb - 20GB drive (/backup)
> hdc - 80GB drive (/home)
>
> i have tried different combinations including separate /boot
partitions -
> all to no avail.
>
> grub is installed on hda.
>
> previously i had redhat9, mandrake9.2 and suse9 on this machine
> (individually - not mutli-boot). all of these worked fine (i've been
> weaning myself onto debian). only now when i installed debian is it
causing
> problems.
>
> i also installed the same debian distro on another machine and didn't
have
> problems - so it must be the combination of this machine and
debian-sarge.

> i have checked the bios and it is booting into the correct drive.
>
> i remembered a suse install bootdisk i created had a boot from hd
option so
> i used this selecting boot from hd and only then did i get the grub
menu
> -sequence was: boot disk -> select boot from hd -> grub menu.
>
> ok, so now at a command prompt. i reinstalled grub on the mbr using:

> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> setup (hd0)
>
> the above said it was successful. but it still didn't boot and came
up with
> the same GRUB all over the screen.
> i then cleared the MBR completely scrubbing it with zeros and then
> reinstalling grub on the machine and the MBR. still no go.
>
> i searched the web for similar issues and found a few. most seemed to
be
> related to bios LBA settings. the bios was set to autodetect the
drives and
> always defaulted to LBA anyway. i did force LBA on it through the
bios  -
> this didn't help either.
>
> i also tried installing grub with setup --force-lba (hd0) but this
too
> didn't work.
>
> i'm stumped!! it worked fine for other distros - now its stuffed and
all i
> get is GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB all over my screen over and
over.

> i have checked /boot/grub contents and all images/files are there and
look
> ok.
>
> if anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate it. i'm getting
desparate
> here. i'm determined to have a debian box up and running!!

"This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential. It is for the intended recipient only. If you have received the email in error please notify the author by replying to this email. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this email. Any views expressed by an individual within this email which do not constitute or record professional advice relating to the RNLI, do not necessarily reflect the views of the organisation.

Registered Charity Number 209603
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
X-GWTYPE:USER