Re: system crashes when accessing boot-sector?

Markus Schabel wrote:
Hello again!

Just tried to install a new server with d-i, and encountered a problem:
when the installer tries to write the boot-sector the system crashes -
and it's a interesting crash => it instantly goes to an integrity-check
of the BIOS and hangs there. the only way i can get out of that is to
switch power off (reset doesn't help).

It happens with GRUB and with LILO, so i think this must be a general
problem of hardware or kernel? anybody seen this before?

it's an old Western Digital HDD with 3.2GB and a new board (i think from
MSI, but I'm not sure, since it's @work and i'm @home) with an i845
chipset (it's an P4 3.06GHz with 1GB RAM), and it's a server-board (1HE)

I've seen that LILO tries to install the boot-sector to a IMHO strange
device (i guess this is devfs?), maybe it helps if I install it to
old-style /dev/hda, I'll try that tomorrow and inform you.

Well, it's interesting. after 4 tries GRUB was finally able to install
itself, and the new system got up. but after some time the system
showed the same effects (crashing to "BIOS chksum"). Interesting is
that with d-i it crashes most times while GRUP or LILO accesses the
boot sector, and when installed it crashes after finished booting. So
I guess this may be a problem of the kernel on d-i beta3? With b-f and
bf24 it works without problems.

When the system is fully installed, I can send you whatever helps to
find out why this happens...

(but since the server goes out this week, i won't do a new try with d-i)

best regards, Markus
--

Computers are like airconditioners:
  They stop working properly if you open windows.