entering the string freeze

Let's review the d-i beta4 timeline again;

1-16 april      development and porting

This period is over. Porting continues, random development that has the
potential to break things does not.

17-22 april     string freeze; general development slowdown; porting continues

And we've entered the string freeze. No new strings and no changes to
string wording in this period, unless it's very important for one of the
ports that did not release in beta3, or unless you can unfuzzy all the
translations by yourself.

Development should focus on a) ports b) fixing serious bugs that would
otherwise go in the errata.

Any code changes that are in subversion trunk but are not yet uploaded
to the debian archive need to be uploaded if they're known good, and if
they're not, may need to be moved to a branch so we can upload updated
translations. This includes autopartkit, base-installer, kbd-chooser,
languagechooser, netcfg, nobootloader, partitioner, prebaseconfig.
Please be conservative, we need to stablise the installer this week, and
avoid breaking anything.

We already have 11 languages at 100% on the second day of the string
freeze. We're aiming for 30+, and this is a short string freeze.

23 april        upload translated udebs to archive
23 april	write draft release announcement
24 april        last possible changes to udebs on initrds
25 april        initrd builds
26 april        initrd builds continue (slow autobuilders)
27 april        cd building, testing
28 april        release beta 4

There is still some beta3 errata that may be unfixed:

- hardware raid problems (probably fixed, but as of yet, unverified)
- alpha cannot install from SCSI cdrom
- ia64 netboot installs broken
- sparc CDs broken (may have just been fixed, confirm?)
- Arabic and Hebrew display problems (progress has been made, but it
  won't make beta4)

If any of these are fixed, please let me know.

Unfortunatly, we have still not had recent success on s390 and hppa.
There have been some improvements in the s390 situation, some work is
happening on each, and I still have hope for both these architectures,
but it will take a concerted effort this week to get them into a
releasable state. I think it's important that we go on and release beta4
on time anyway, even though things will not look good for s390 and hppa
if they are not supported by it.

--
see shy jo