Install Report -- Boot Loader Config Problems

I tried installing Debian Sarge -- build 17 Apr 2004 on my Toshiba A20.

Debian-installer-version:

$ md5sum sarge-i386-netinst.iso
e31d760ea6421d5985f9e7f86c6e1287  sarge-i386-netinst.iso
(md5sum is okay)

Install Date (Attempt):

Method:
netinst (CD)

Hardware:
Satellite A20 -- A20-31Q: 2.53GHz (PSA20C-0231Q)
http://www.toshiba.ca/web/specifications.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=1&product=1912&part=1772

Base System Installation Checklist:
Initial boot worked:    [O]
Configure network HW:   [O]
Config network:         [O]
Detect CD:              [O]
Load installer modules: [O]
Detect hard drives:     [O]
Partition hard drives:  [O]
Create file systems:    [O]
Mount partitions:       [O]
Install base system:    [O]
Install boot loader:    [?]
Reboot:                 [E]
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Comments:

The partitioning tool is nice--great improvement over how it was
done a few months ago.

Things went pretty smoothly... except for the boot loader.

I'm having some trouble with the boot loader--trying to
setup a dual boot system -- Microcrap Windows XP & Debian.
(patterned after --
http://www.bic.kyoto-u.ac.jp/proteome/rwan/debian.html )

My partitioning scheme is as follows:
-----
hda1	primary		9.0 GB		NTFS		/mnt/winxp
hda2	primary		1.5 GB		FAT32		/mnt/transfer
hda3	primary		32.9 MB		ext3		/boot
hda5	logical		205.5 MB	reiserfs	/
hda6	logical		551.0 MB	(swap)		swap
hda7	logical		4.2 GB		reiserfs	/usr
hda8	logical		2.5 GB		reiserfs	/var
hda9	logical		822.4 MB	reiserfs	/tmp
hda10	logical		10.5 GB		reiserfs	/home
hda11	logical		10.6 GB		reiserfs	/mnt/media
-----
hda1 -- "boot" was turned OFF
hda3 -- "boot" was turned ON

I skipped GRUB -- I'm a LILO guy.

LILO installation target:
	/dev/hda3 : new Debian partition

	I went with hda3 based on the following advice:
		"Do not install to MBR, you'll mess everything up."
		http://lucidforest.net/~humanpeople/linux.html

On reboot I got "Missing operating system"

-----
I then mucked around for ages in "lilo.conf" using Knoppix3.3 as
a sort of rescue CD.

ASIDE: I don't know how to use the install CD as a rescue disk--if
that is possible... I had the impression that is possible but didn't
find anything in the menu on boot with the install CD.

Any case, I fell into bunch of pitfalls, but I did modify lilo--after...
1. mounting root
	# mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5
   and /boot
	# mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3
2. Somehow managing to get write privilages on /etc
3. I then copied lilo.conf into /etc (in the knoppix directory--as that it
is where 'lilo' looks) -- the "-C" option in lilo wasn't working for me
4. Modified "lilo.conf"
5. Copied the files from /mnt/hda3 to /mnt/hda5/boot-- so lilo can check
the files in /boot
	(as far as I can determine it doesn't modify any of them)
6. Ran lilo
	# lilo -r /mnt/hda5
	lilo seemed happy -- save for a warning ----something "CHANGE
AUTOMATIC assumed" in reference to the 'other' label I added for
Windoze.

rebooted -- still out of luck... once again got
"Missing operating system"

Things I added to lilo.conf -- based on stuff I read...
-----
lba32

other=/dev/hda1
	label=Windows
	change
-----

How important is "lba32"?
Is there something obvious I could be missing?

Configuring LILO post install seems to be a big headache...
is there an easy way to modify it post-install?

Thanks,
Michael