Beta 3 cannot mount my CD

I downloaded the 100MB beta 3 CD image and tried to install it on an IBM
Intellistation that I have here at work.  Unfortunatly it didn't work, and
I have tried everything I can think of to fix the problem before posting
here so hopefully somebody can help me.  Here is what happens....

1.  It boots from the CD fine, the boot screen comes up and I continue to
the installer
2.  I get prompted for my language and keyboard layout
3.  The progress bar moves across the screen and my CD drive spins up ,
but then...
4.  A error message appears telling me that the CD couldn't be mounted and
maybe the disk isn't in the drive (it is) and would I like to try again?

The only option I'm left with, that does't involve using the CD, is to
execute a shell.  So I tried that, thinking I could figure out what is
going wrong.  I ran dmesg to see if my drive is being detected at all, and
it shows up as:

hdc: LTN486S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

Which is good, but the last couple lines in the dmesg output are

ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 132
ISOFS: unable to read i-node block
ISOFS: changing to secondary root
hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 1172
ISOFS: unable to read i-node block

So, I figured that my CD was burnt badly, and I tried another with the
same result.  I happened to have just rebuilt my laptop and hadn't
installed much on it yet so I thought that I'd see if the new installer
would work there.  It installed onto the laptop with very few problems,
and no issues related to the CD mouting.  I brought the exact CD I used
back to work and got the same error as before.  Now I started to figure
that my drive has gone bad here at work, since I don't use it that much. I
happened to have a copy of the Debian 3.0 install CD on my desk so I
started up that installer and everything worked perfectly.

Can help shed some light on the situation, or can I provide some more data
that would help?