No network after install w/ realtek/8139too

Using the boot/root floppies I am able to configure the network and install Debian from the net and everything seems to work fine.  On reboot however I have no network.  dmesg says the card is detected but I have no tools available to see if the modules are lodeded nor can I probe them if not.  This is just a generic realtek chipset that uses the 8139too driver.  It always worked fine w/ the older boot floppies.  I have no idea why it doesn't with the new isntaller.  Thanks for any ideas.