Re: Debian Installer team seeking for translators : Serbian (sr), Croatian (hr), Hindi (hi), others

Quoting Jaldhar H. Vyas (jaldhar@debian.org):
> [Please Cc me on replies, I'm not subscribed to -boot)

I also keep -i18n because this covers more than -boot scope currently.

> what kind of support for Indic scripts is there in d-i?  Are opentype
> fonts supported?  We actually have a pretty good range of fonts packaged
> or will have soon.  Would udebs have to be made for them?

I'm not really sure indeed as, sorry, I'm not really familiar with
Indian subcontinent languages ways of being writtent (if you have a
good reference for that, I'd appreciate).

The exact mechanism for Debian Installe rfirst stage to display non
Latin language is somewhat cryptic for me as I'm far from being a
technical guru. Other contributors will probably answer better than
me (folks, please keep CC list).

The only thing I can tell is that including Arabic and Hebrew script
did not need any change. The writings are currently OK and only need work
on BIDI.....So, I'm pretty sure that indeed, having some Indic scripts
displayed wouldn't be a major problem....

Should I understand your mail as volunteering for one of theses
languages from Indian subcontinent (I hope the term" subcontinent does
not sound hurting....it is does this is not intentional)?

You mentioned Gujarati : I guess this is one of major languages in
India (I know there are several...some being official languages of
some states, often in southern India, but that's all...sorry for being
so ignorant)