[deb-installer] Failure at boot loader phase

Package: installation-reports

Debian-installer-version: Beta 3 20040315
uname -a: <not on system now>
Date: 20040406
Method: CD burned from 100 MB CD image from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
Machine: Shuttle XPC SB75G2 v2 - Shuttle FB75 mainboard - Intel 875P/ICH5-R chipset - tg3 built-in network - Sony DRU-500A IDE DVD Burner
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 HyperThreading - 3 GHz - 512 KB cache - 800 MHz FSB - northwood core
Memory: 1 GB Dual channel ddr 400 - 2x OCZ 512 MB low latency modules
Root Device: S-ATA - 200 GB Western Digital 7200 RPM 9 mb cache
Root Size/partition table:
	<not on system now>

	hda1 - 170 GB NTFS - Windows XP
	hda2 - 30  MB ext3 - /boot
	hda6 - rest   XFS  - /
	hda3 - 512 MB      - swap

Output of lspci: <not on system now>

Base System Installation Checklist:

Initial boot worked:    [O]
Configure network HW:   [O]
Config network:         [O]
Detect CD:              [O]
Load installer modules: [O]
Detect hard drives:     [O]
Partition hard drives:  [O]
Create file systems:    [O]
Mount partitions:       [O]
Install base system:    [O]
Install boot loader:    [E]
Reboot:                 [E]
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Comments/Problems:

Grub hanged during install on (0,1), but system not frozen (other consoles working). i restarted the install process.

lilo access difficult because expert mode expects things to be done in order (Grub first...). I though i managed to get it (apparently it has to use devfs nomenclature, which i'm not familiar with), bot nothing in place, not even a lilo.conf.

reboot and mount/chroot under knoppix proved there was no lilo, tried to use lilo's simple example conf file, changed compact to lba32, used hda2 as boot and hda6 as root, boot sector on hda2.

used bootpart (as disk's main bootloader), but failed.

apparently lba48 support is needed in order to boot a partition further than ~120 gb, maybe neither bootpart nor lilo know how to do that.

Other than that boot loader issue, which may be me of my own doing (partitions too far away in the disk), the installer looks very close to be ready.

Would that qualify as a bug and should i submit it to the appropriate email address, or is it me trying to do something stupid ?

Any suggestion ?

Nico